Like just about everyone else, I grew up with cameras and took snapshots of everything around me. My first camera, a Yashika rangefinder got me started taking pictures at the beach, surfing, out with friends, and much more. Through high-school and college I learned a lot about photography through classes, trial & error, books and seminars - and over the years, through a better understanding of light & composition, the snapshots slowly evolved into a sizeable portfolio of photographs.
I like to photograph mostly nautical themes, concentrating on our shorelines & bays, yachting, the bridges, wetlands, lighthouses, wildlife, flowers and the unique things that make living near & on the water on Long Island a special experience.
I have participated in numerous contests & shows; held one-man exhibitions at the East Islip Library; won awards at NWPLI (Nature & Wildlife Photographers of Long Island), PFLI (Photographic Federation of Long Island), and the Islip Arts Council. I am a member and past-president of the NWPLI and a member of the Islip Arts Council. My works are featured at the Village Art & Framing Gallery in Babylon Village, and can also be seen via facebook at RJLaBella-Photos. These works now hang in many private collections and businesses.
I hope my work brings you as much enjoyment as it gave me in composing and capturing the beauty of this area.
Visit my Website. RJLabella Photos
- Sailing Clubs
- G.S.B. Weather/Tides
- Sailing - with Bob Forman
- The Longships
- The Breach at Old Inlet >
- John Paul Jones - Naval Officer
- Admiral Zheng - China's Treasure Fleet
- The Polynesians - Natural Navigators
- Henry Morgan- Admiral-Privateer-Pirate
- Ferdinand Magellan the Price of Discovery
- The First Americas Cup
- The U.S.S. Constitution
- Joshua Slocum - One Man's Voyage
- The Clipper Ships >
- Without Warning the 1938 Hurricane
- Shackelton The Endurance Expedetion
- Kid II - the new kid from Wooden Boatworks
- The Salty Sisters
- Fire Island Inlet and Dunes Replensihment
- Building the Titanic
- Lipton's America's Cup Boats
- Ida Lewis
- Hervey Garrett Smith
- Moby Dick by Herman Melville
- Boats for Sale